Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness and Speaking Points – Message from LeadingAge Ohio President/CEO Kathryn Brod
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness and
LeadingAge Ohio’s number one concern is the wellness and safety of our members’ residents and employees. As our association and our membership continue to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, know that we have been in constant contact with our membership, appropriate federal and state agencies, and other healthcare providers. Speaking points have been prepared for members with nursing facilities and for home health and hospice members to use with residents, family members and staff.
To date, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ohio. The individuals in Ohio who were tested for COVID-19 have come back negative. As Governor DeWine and Dr. Amy Acton, Director of the Ohio Department Health (ODH), stated in a press conference last week, Ohio continues to work with state and federal partners and continues to prepare for any new developments. In a conference call early this week with a number of provider associations including LeadingAge Ohio, the Administration provided updated information on work underway to ensure Ohio is properly and effectively prepared. LeadingAge Ohio has had zero members report any cases or suspected cases of coronavirus within their organizations.
As shared by ODH and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), general strategies that CDC recommends to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in long-term care facilities are the same strategies providers use every day to detect and prevent the spread of other respiratory viruses like influenza.
These strategies include:
- Preventing the introduction of respiratory germs into your facility;
- Preventing the spread of respiratory germs within your facility; and
- Preventing the spread of respiratory germs between facilities.
In a recent bulletin sent to providers, ODH requested information on personal protective equipment (PPE) needs and also included a link to complete a survey. LeadingAge Ohio encourages members to check their inboxes to ensure they’ve responded promptly to ODH’s request. The survey link is provider-specific, so it must be accessed via the email sent directly to providers.
As our members continue to provide high quality care to Ohio’s vulnerable populations, we are urging everyone to review the following resources on control and prevention of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (CDC)
- Strategies to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities (CDC)
- The Nursing Home Infection Preventionist Training (CDC)
- World Health Organization Coronavirus Disease Outbreak (WHO)
- CDC Information for Healthcare Professionals (CDC)
- Coronavirus.ohio.gov (ODH)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 FAQ (ODH)
- Sign reminders on the spread of germs and hand washing
- COVID-19 Homecare and Hospice Checklist (NAHC)
- Exposure to Coronavirus (2019-NCOV): Disease Response & Management (NAHC)
- COVID-19 in PALTC settings (The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine)
- COVID-19 Information (LeadingAge)
Thank you for your diligence in ensuring the safety of residents and staff. LeadingAge Ohio has added these resources to our homepage and will update all members as changes or new information becomes available.
Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns you may have.